Reviewing the Tiger Claw Installation Gun
The Tiger Claw Installation Gun is designed to significantly reduce the amount of time you spend on installing a deck. In fact, it is one of the fastest ways of installing fastening clips into any grooved decking material. You can actually install about 400 square feet of decking every hour using the Tiger Claw.
Working with grooved decking materials is not as easy as it sounds. You will need to follow a particular process and use a specific set of tools. If you want to finish the job with lots of time, then you should consider working with the Tiger Claw Installation Gun. That is because it has a unique nose piece that can hold fasteners steadily in the right position to fire the screw nail into the joist, all in one simple step.
The best thing about this tool is that it lets you create a smooth, fastener-free decking surface. It is the best option for those who want the popular seamless look – but at a much cheaper price. Whether you are a professional contractor or a DIY enthusiast, this tool will be the perfect addition to your toolbox.
Features of the Tiger Claw Installation Gun
The Tiger Claw is a semi-automatic installation gun makes driving in the TC-G/TC-150 fasteners even faster. It can also be used to build in most grooved and non-grooved decking material using the TC-G/TC-150 Slot Cutter. It is a strong, durable, and lightweight tool that comes with a full replacement warranty. This makes it an essential must-have for any deck builder.
All you have to do is slip the fasteners into the gun’s unique nose piece and place it into the deck board’s groove. The Tiger Claw then uses a collated pneumatic screw to drive in the fasteners into the board.
This tool has a specialized clip that allows you to fire in screw nails through decking material and directly into the joist, ensuring that you fasten deck boards in one step.
The Tiger Claw can be used with a wide variety of clips and fasteners. These include the Tiger Claw fasteners, TC-150, Phantom by Tiger Claw, Guardian Ghost Grip, ConnectClip, KleerKlip, TimberTech CONCEALoc, and the Trex Hideaway Stainless Steel Hidden Fastener. However, keep in mind that clips and fasteners are sold separately.
It is also important to note that this gun can work with many other types of clips that are manufactured by Tiger Claw for grooved decking. Its high level of compatibility is a big reason why Tiger Claws installation gun is so popular with contractors and home improvement enthusiasts. Furthermore, each purchase of this gun comes with the following:
How to Set Up and Use the Tiger Claw Installation Gun
Despite its wide range of applications, this powerful installation gun is surprisingly easy to use. Deleted .
If you are near a dealer that supplies manufactured products like Latitudes or Veranda, you may have to place a special order for pre-slotted decking boards. But this is an easy fix. You could simply go with a normal deck board and customize it using the Slot Cutter.
To install pre-grooved decking boards with the Tiger Claw, follow these basic steps:
- Ensure that the board is properly pre-slotted, fitted, and cut to length.
- Place and align the first deck board onto the joists.
- Take your Tiger Claw Installation Gun and insert the appropriate TC-G fastener.
- Once you have placed your preferred fastener onto the tip of the gun, slide it into the grove. Then, align it with the center of the joist.
- Press down so that the gun’s nail feeder is lying flat against the joist.
- Squeeze the gun’s trigger and place your first fastener. Ensure that the nail is firing into the center of the joist.
- Align the next deck board. Use a piece of scrap decking board to drop it in and hit it until it is sitting there tightly.
- Repeat the installation process for each board.
Now, the real trick comes when you are installing normal, non-grooved decking material such as pressure treated lumber. In that case, you can use this easy, step-by-step guide:
- Place and align the decking material onto the joists.
- Mark each deck board to show where it should be routed.
- Use the Slot Cutter to route each board appropriately to ensure that it is compatible with the TC-G fasteners.
- Replace the deck boards and re-align them onto the joists.
- Insert the appropriate TC-G fastener into the Tiger Claw Installation Gin.
- Once the fastener is secured on the tip of the gun, insert it into the groove at a point on the center of the joist.
- Press down to ensure that the gun’s nail feeder is lying flat against the joist.
- Squeeze the trigger and place the screw at the center of the joist.
- Place the next board and repeat this process for each joist.
As you can see, using the Tiger Claw is a fairly straightforward process. However, there are a couple of things that you have to keep in mind. When you insert the fastener into the gun, ensure that it slides sideways onto the nose piece until it locks on. There will be an audible click to let you know when this happens. This will ensure that the pneumatic screw drives through the right mounting hole.
It is also important to place the nail clip nose-first to the deck board groove at a 45-degree angle. This ensures that the fastener’s outreaching tab engages the slot. After this, you can then lay the gun flat against the joist and fire. And it does not stop there! The gun drives in a pneumatic screw like a nail into every joist. This helps your fasteners go into your decking material easier. This pneumatic screw can be easily pulled out like a traditional screw.
If you work while standing on the decking boards, then you will end up operating this gun “backward” This simply means that the Tiger Claw will be facing you as you work.
On the other hand, you could just lay down a plank across the open joists. This approach will help you operate this tool the right way. However, you must ensure that the joists are free of deck boards and that your makeshift “walking” plank is at least 18’ inches from the front of the decking line. This will ensure that you are able to drop the gun flat against the joist when needed.
Other Helpful Tips
- Determine coverage by multiplying the number of decking boards by the number of joists. The result will be equal to the total number of fasteners that you need for your project.
- When using a 16-inch deck board, 90 fasteners will be enough to cover an approximate area of 50 square feet.
- If you are trying to replace a deck board, start by making two parallel lines along the center if the old board. Remove this central piece and use a small pry bar to remove the remaining pieces from the tabs. Then, use a reciprocating saw to get rid of the remaining tabs. Place the new board in the gap and screw it in place using the Tiger Claw.
- If your deck is located along the walled corner of your home, start off the installation process with a small piece of decking material at that corner. After this is done, you can then work your way out.
- If you are using TC-G or TC-150 fasteners, ensure that its center is offset at least 1/2 inches from the center of the joist. This move will keep the screw from exiting the other side of the joist when it is driven in.
The Tiger Claw Installation Gun is a powerful and innovative product that is sweeping through the construction and home improvement worlds. It allows you to create stunning decks that will maintain their beauty for a long, long time. Compared to other surface fasteners, the humble Tiger Claw wins all the efficiency, affordability, and beauty contests.
It is true that you might want to put in a bit of extra effort with this tool. The Tiger Claw requires a certain level of skill and experience to ensure a flawless installation.
On the other hand, using this tool can lead to lots of great things for you. It can help save you time and reduce your labor costs.
All in all, the Tiger Claw Installation Gun is an excellent choice if you want consistently professional and high-quality projects. There might be lots of similar products available on the market, but this tool is the best at producing the most attractive and durable decks that you will enjoy for a long time.